what are peptides?
Peptides are a compound consisting of one or two amino acids linked in a chain. i.e. the carboxyl group of each amino acid being joined to amino group of the next by a peptide (amide) bond. These chains can be short or long and longer chains of amino acids form the building blocks of protein.
what do peptides do?
Peptides are found in all the cells and tissues in the body and perform a critical role in most biological process like, to achieve haemostasis and maintain health. The function of peptide is determined by its size and amino acid sequence. Some of the main functions of peptides are as follows;
- Peptides act as transporters that allow selective substances to pass into the cell through the cell membrane
- Peptides also aid the digestion process, production of energy and synthesis of the cellular components
- Certain peptide hormones help in glucose and appetite regulation
- Peptides also function as structural elements of the body and contribute to the strength and shape of the bones and muscles
- Peptides are also involved in the movement and protect the internal organs
what is c – peptide?
The connecting peptide abbreviated to C – peptide is a short peptide composed of 31 amino acids. C- Peptide helps in connecting insulin’s A chain to it’s B chain in the proinsulin molecule. It is released from the beta – cells during cleavage of insulin from proinsulin, i.e. for each molecule of insulin produced there is a c – peptide molecule. C – peptide does not influence the production of insulin but, is used as a marker of insulin production, since C- Peptide tends to remain in the blood for a longer time than insulin.
what is c – peptide test?
C – peptide test is basically a blood test that assess the amount of insulin being produced by the body. It is primarily used in determining whether a person has been affected with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. This test is also used to determine if a person has insulin resistance.
when do you need c – peptide test?
A C – peptide test is usually given in the following circumstances;
- To determine whether a person has type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- In case of type 1 diabetes, the c – peptide test is used to determine how much insulin the pancreas still produce
- In case of type 2 diabetes, the c – peptide test is given to ascertain how much insulin is naturally produced in the body and how much insulin needs to be administered to the person
- To ascertain the cause of hypoglycaemia
- To diagnose a tumour of the pancreas
- C – peptide test is also given when the pancreas are removed.
how to prepare for c – peptide test
- A person needs to stop eating for 8 to 10 hours before the test. Sometimes the test is also administered after eating.
- Also inform the doctor about current medication and supplements taken by you.
c- peptide test normal range
The C- peptide test normal range is between 0.8 to 3.1 ng/ml or 0.26 to 1.03 nmol/L
c –peptide test procedure
The C – peptide test uses a blood or urine sample. For C- peptide blood test a small amount of blood is drawn out from the veins of the forearm, and in C- peptide urine test a urine sample is to be provided as instructed by the doctor.
c – peptide test cost
The average C – peptide test cost varies owing to varied factors like, the city, town, availability and quality of the test. Usually the C – peptide test cost can be found to average anywhere between 600 to 2000 rupees. These prices are only indicative and not the actual C – peptide test cost.
how can we help?
You no longer need to queue in front of pathological labs starving yourself out to get your C – peptide levels tested, all you need to do is just connect with us to avail of our at home C- peptide blood test, wherein our representative phlebotomist would visit you at the time and day of your convenience and collect the required sample. After that we would also deliver your C – peptide test results online, so you can easily download it as per your need.
We are a fully qualified and certified team of health professionals who take the extra effort to provide quality healthcare services including doctor’s consultation, nursing service, therapies and a wide range of pathological tests, to our clients. So, if you need C – peptide test done then give us a call, you can also connect with us on our website to make appointments.