what is ferritin?
Ferritin is a universal intracellular supermolecule that stores iron and releases it in an exceedingly controlled fashion.
If the level of ferritin is low in your blood, then you may be diagnosed with a ferritin deficiency.
Causes of ferritin deficiency
- Extreme loss of blood during menstruation in women
- Stomach conditions that affect intestinal absorption of food
- Internal blood loss
low ferritin symptoms
- Mysterious fatigue
- Persistent headaches
- Inexplicable weakness
- Ringing in your ears
- Pain in your legs
- Shortness of breath
- High Levels of Ferritin
causes of high ferritin
- Excessive amount of iron in your system.
- Hereditary condition known as hemochromatosis
- Higher alcohol consumption
- May also be a sign of some organ damage
- Intestines may absorb more iron than the body can actually replace.
Symptoms of high ferritin levels
- Stomach pain
- Heart palpitations or chest pains
- Unexplained weakness
- Joint pain
- Unexplained fatigue
serum ferritin test
A serum ferritin test is performed to measure the quantity of ferritin in your blood.
why is the test done?
- To diagnose a medical condition like low haemoglobin or low hematocrit
- To indicate if you have iron deficiency
- Someone with restless legs syndrome may also need the Ferritin test.
- To help diagnose conditions like hemochromatosis, liver disease and adult Still's disease
- To monitor a medical condition. Your doctor may use a ferritin test to monitor your condition and guide treatment in case you have been diagnosed with hemochromatosis or hemosiderosis
what other tests may be done along with the serum ferritin test?
An iron test and a total iron-binding capacity(TIBC), transferring test may also be recommended by the doctor to diagnose medical conditions.
how do you prepare for the s ferritin test?
If you are only giving the ferritin test, then you can eat and drink before the test. If you are asked to give your blood sample for additional tests, you may need to fast overnight according to the laboratory or your doctor’s recommendations.
interpretation of s ferritin test results
The normal range for ferritin in the blood is:
- 20 to 500 nanograms per millilitre is the normal range for men
- 20 to 200 nanograms per millilitre is the normal range for women
Lower than normal results
If your results indicate that your ferritin level is normal, then it could mean that you have an iron deficiency. It could also mean that you have anemia.
Higher than normal results
Some conditions than can cause your ferritin level to be higher than normal include:
- Hemochromatosis — A condition that causes your body to absorb too much iron from the food you eat
- Porphyria — This is a group of disorders that can affect your nervous system and skin
- Rheumatoid arthritis or another chronic inflammatory disorder
- Liver disease
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Multiple blood transfusions
- Alcohol abuse
low ferritin levels treatment
How to increase ferritin levels?
- Intake of Iron-Rich Foods
- Iron Enhancers and Inhibitors
- Get different types of Iron from food
- Dietary Supplements
s ferritin test cost
S ferritin test cost varies depending on the lab and the location.
how can we help?
Take the S ferritin blood test at home with Portea’s help. Not only can you take the Ferritin test at home, but your reports will also be delivered straight to your door. Our team of medical experts can handle your treatment very well. Give us a call and Portea will take care of you.