what is the function of the kidney?
The kidneys are essential to the body as their function involves removal of waste products from the blood and the regulation of water fluid levels in the body. The kidneys also receive blood through the renal artery.
The 7 main Kidney Function(s):
- Regulation of blood volume
- Regulation of blood pressure
- Regulation of the pH in the blood
- Regulation of the ionic composition of blood
- Production of RBCs or Red Blood Cells
- Synthesis of Vitamin D
- Excretion of waste products and foreign substances
If any one of the 7 main kidney function(s) are not being performed efficiently, you may have kidney problems.
what causes kidney problems?
There are several kidney problems including kidney failure, chronic kidney disease or even a kidney infection.
Chronic Kidney disease may be caused by:
- Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Intersitial nephritis
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Prolonged obstruction of the urinary tract
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Recurrent kidney infection
Chronic Kidney disease symptoms:
- Loss of Apetite
- Fatigue and Weakness
- Sleep problems
- Urination changes
- Decreased mental sharpness
- Muscle twitches and cramps
- Persistent itching
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- High blood pressure
Symptoms of Kidney Problems are often not specific which means having these symptoms cannot establish a proper diagnosis. However, if you have these symptoms of kidney problems, you should see your doctor to get a kidney test done.
kidney function test
What is a kidney function test?
Blood and urine tests combined is known as a kidney function test.
Why do you need the Kidney profile test?
You may need the Kidney Profile test to test your kidneys’ functioning or if you have any other conditions such as diabetes or high BP that may directly impact your kidneys. The kidney function test can help your doctor monitor your condition.
what are the different types of kidney test?
Your kidney function test will include a set of tests that will estimate your GFR or glomerular filtration test.
- Urinalysis: This kidney test tests for protein and blood in the urine.
- Serum creatinine test: This kidney blood test examines if creatinine is building up in your blood.
- Blood Urea nitrogen(BUN) : This kidney blood test checks for waste products in your blood.
- Estimated GFR: Various factors are looked to see how well your kidneys are at filtering waste.
how are the tests performed?
For the creatinine test, you will need a 24-hour urine sample. Other tests require a simple blood sample drawn from the vein.
The kidney treatment will focus on addressing the underlying causes if the test show signs of an early kidney disease. You may get prescribed some medications and referred to other doctors.
Kidney failure treatment
If the tests reveal that there is a kidney failure, the doctor may recommend a number of options:
- Kidney Transplant
Kidney Treatment at home
You can choose to get your dialysis at home if you have end stage kidney disease. If the symptoms are of an early kidney disease, then the prescribed medication should help
at home kidney function test
With Portea, you can now take an at home kidney function test. Our team of medical experts will guide on how to prepare for the test, deliver your reports and advise treatment to help you get better. Give us a call and experience world-class medical healthcare right at your home.
kidney function test cost
Kidney function Test prices vary from one pathological lab to another. However, the Kidney function Test cost is usually not too exorbitant and is easily affordable. The Kidney function Test cost offered at home also differ from traditional pathological labs. Portea™ provides this test at a price of Rs 500*.