what is a liver function test?
It is a group of tests that gives a statement on the health of a patient’s liver. It determines the health of the liver by evaluating the level of liver enzymes, proteins or bilirubin in the blood. The main tests in the liver function tests are prothrombin time, APTT, albumin, bilirubin.
A liver function test is recommended for the following reasons:
- To screen for any infections such as hepatitis C in the liver
- If you are consuming any medications that might have a side effect on the liver functions
- To monitor an already existing liver disease and its status during treatment
- If you have any symptoms of any liver problems or liver disease
- Planning for pregnancy
symptoms of liver problems:
- Jaundice fever – skin and eyes turn yellowish
- Swelling and pain of the abdominal
- Swelling of legs and ankles
- Itching of the skin
- Dark colour Urine
- Stool is either bloody, tar-coloured or pale
- Queasiness or vomiting
- Appetite loss
- Easily getting bruised
causes of liver problem:
There may be many liver damage causes. Some of them are:
- Immune system abnormality
- Habits such as excessive alcohol intake
why do i need liver function test?
The liver is a vital organ of the human body and liver functions play a vital role in the overall health of your body.
A liver function test helps in determining the condition and health of your liver in order for it to perform the following liver functions efficiently.
what is the function of a liver?
- Cleanses your blood by removing contaminants eliminating liver infections
- Helps in converting nutrients from your food intake
- Stores vitamins and minerals in your body
- Regulates blood clot
- Produces enzymes, proteins and bile
- Produces infection fighting factors
- Removes bacteria from the blood
- Processes harmful substances from the body
- Helps in balancing hormones
With so much liver functions, a problem caused in the liver can cause life-threatening diseases to the person.
what do my test results mean?
The most common blood test taken for liver function test is aminotransferases.
If your liver function test results range between 7-56 units/litre for ALT and 10-40 got AST, your liver function is normal. Anything outside the liver function test normal range means there might be some liver problems or liver infection and needs to be diagnosed and treated.
how is liver function test done?
The liver function test is like any other blood test. It may be taken at a hospital, clinic or specialised testing facility. You can administer the test by checking if the following steps are done:
- Your skin will be cleaned by the blood test technician to prevent any substances on your skin to avoid contamination of the test.
- They will wrap your arm with some sort of pressure device to make the veins more visible. They will then insert the needle into the vein to draw enough blood samples for the test.
- Once the blood is drawn, they will cover the pierced area to avoid any infection and will send the blood samples for testing to the laboratory.
does liver function test pose any risk?
Blood tests are a very common routine to check several diseases and diagnosis like the liver disease. The rare cases of risks that might happen while giving a blood sample are:
- Internal bleeding under the skin
- excessive bleeding
- fainting due to weakness after blood withdrawal
how do i prepare for the test?
You will be guided by the doctor with instructions to follow before taking the tests. You may have to avoid certain foods and medicines before the test as they might affect the levels of enzymes and proteins present in your blood.
how can we help?
Do you find yourself searching for “Liver function test near me” on google? Worry no more. We now provide services for home liver function test. If you have noticed any symptoms of a liver problem or liver infection and your doctor can recommended you to take this tests, all you have to do is contact us!
We will have a health care expert sent to your house and do the necessary procedures. The samples will be sent for testing and you will receive your liver function test report at your doorstep.
Understanding results ofLiver Function
|SGOT||The normal range for the AST test is 10 to 34 IU/L (international units per liter)|
|GGT||The normal range for GGT in blood is 0 to 51 international units/liter.|
|Total Protein||The total protein is between 6 and 8.3 gm/dL (grams per deciliter)|
|Albumin||The typical value for albumin is 3.4 to 5.4 g/dL of blood|
|Bilirubin||In an older child or adult, normal values of direct (conjugated) bilirubin are from 0 to 0.3 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL). Normal values of total bilirubin (direct and indirect) are from 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dL. In a newborn, higher bilirubin is normal due|
'*A Reference range is a set of values which helps the healthcare professional to interpret a medical test. It may vary with age, gender, and other factors. Reference ranges may also vary between labs, in value & units depending on instruments used and method of establishment of reference ranges’