what is semen analysis / sperm count?
A Semen Analysis evaluates the amount and quality of a man’s semen and sperm to determine male fertility. This test is sometimes called a sperm count.
A Semen Analysis is used to assess the following:
- Vitality: sperm’s ability to live and endure
- Volume: A measure of the amount of semen present in one ejaculation
- Morphology: percentage of sperm that have a normal shape
- Mobility: movement of the sperm (swimming ability)
- Count: the number of individual sperm present in one ejaculation
- Fructose level: a measure of the amount of a sugar called fructose in the semen. The fructose provides energy for movement of the sperm.
- pH: measure of the acidity (low pH) or alkalinity (high pH) of the semen
- Liquefaction time: Semen is usually a thick gel at the time of ejaculation. It normally becomes liquid within 20 minutes after ejaculation. Liquefaction time is a measure of the time it takes for the semen to liquefy.
when do you expect results?
24 to 36 Hours
why get your sperms tested?
A semen analysis aids in identifying any problems with infertility in males which may be the reason for the couple not being able to conceive successfully.
This test may also be conducted to identify the success of a vasectomy operation or the reversal of the same.
reason to take semen analysis / sperm count test
Symptoms observed are
- Undescended testis
preparations needed for sperm count test
- Abstain from sex for a period of a minimum of two days but not more than seven days, since a long period of sexual inactivity may result in less active sperm.
- Produce a sample by masturbation only
- Collect the complete sample in the container provided.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for a few days prior to the test being conducted
Specimen type:For Men
Semen, Specimen collection procedure: Semen sample collection is through masturbation, directed into a clean cup.
semen analysis / sperm count cost
The semen sperm count test prices vary from one pathological lab to another. However, the semen sperm count test cost is usually not too exorbitant and is easily affordable. Thesemen sperm count test cost offered at home also differ from traditional pathological labs. Portea™ provides this test at a price of Rs 900*.
Understanding results ofSemen (Sperm) Analysis / Count
|Liquefaction time||20-30 minutes after collection|
|Volume||2.0 ml or more|
|White blood cells (WBC)||fewer than 1x106/ml, ideally must be absent|
|Sperm count||20x106 spermatozoa/ml or more|
|Vitality||75% or more live, i.e., excluding dye|
|Sperm Motility||50% or more with forward progression|
|Fructose level||13 m -mol or more per ejaculate|
|Morphology||30% or more with normal forms|
‘*A Reference range is a set of values which helps the healthcare professional to interpret a medical test. It may vary with age, gender, and other factors. Reference ranges may also vary between labs, in value & units depending on instruments used and method of establishment of reference ranges’