Calcium (Ionized / Total) Lab Test

Book Lab Test At Home
*I authorize Portea representative to contact me. I understand that this will override the DND status on my mobile number.

Clinical Definition of Calcium (Ionized / Total)

Calcium is an important mineral that is used in many ways in your body. It increases the strength of your bones and teeth and helps your muscles and nerves function. Total calcium in your blood is measured with a serum calcium blood test, but calcium is actually found in several different forms in your blood; these include free ionized calcium, calcium that is bound to other minerals (anions), and calcium that is bound to proteins like albumin.

Ionized calcium is the most active form and is also called free calcium. About 99% of calcium is found in the bones while the remaining 1% circulates in the blood. Roughly half of the calcium in the blood is "free" and is metabolically active. The remaining half is "bound" to albumin and other compounds and is metabolically inactive.

Calcium is lost from the body every day, filtered from the blood by the kidneys and excreted into the urine. Measurement of the amount of calcium in the urine is used to determine how much calcium is being eliminated by the kidneys.

When do you expect results?

24 to 36 Hours

Why Get Tested?

The calcium test is done to determine the levels of calcium in the blood and to screen for, diagnose and monitor a range of conditions relating to the bones, heart, nerves, kidneys and teeth.

Reason to take Calcium (Ionized / Total) Test

Common symptoms observed are:

  • Abdominal painUrinary frequency
  • Increased thirst
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Muscle cramps
  • Tingling fingers Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Constipation Pain in the lower abdomen
  • Blood in the urine

Preparations Needed for Calcium (Ionized / Total) Test

No special preparations required.

Sample Required?

Specimen type: Serum(Blood Sample),

Specimen collection procedure: Venipuncture(Collection of blood from a vein, usually from the arm)

Understanding results of Calcium (Ionized / Total)

Reference RangeInterpretation
8.1 – 10.4 mg/dlNormal

‘*A Reference range is a set of values which helps the healthcare professional to interpret a medical test. It may vary with age, gender, and other factors. Reference ranges may also vary between labs, in value & units depending on instruments used and method of establishment of reference ranges’

References

  1. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003486.htm
  2. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003486.htm
  3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23592168
  4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4062673/
  5. https://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/19/7/1257
  6. https://labtestsonline.org/tests/calcium
  7. https://acutecaretesting.org/en/articles/ionized-calcium