The Haematocrit (Ht or HCT) or packed cell volume is the ratio of blood volume occupied by red blood cells. It is an essential component of an individuals blood count, along with haemoglobin concentration, white blood cell count, and platelet count.
Haematocrit is ascertained by spinning heparinized blood in a capillary tube. Haematocrit increases when the amount of red blood cells increase or when the volume of plasma is reduced, like in dehydration. Low Haematocrit indicates the body reduced production of red blood cells or when large amounts of blood is lost due to bleeding indicating anaemia.
Low Haematocrit simply means that the red blood cells is below the normal limits for that person’s age, gender and weight. The main low haematocrit causes are as follows;
Low Haematocrit Symptoms
The common low haematocrit symptoms includes;
A high Haematocrit level indicates to the higher percentage of red blood cells in the blood, in regards to the Haematocrit normal value for that person’s age, sex and weight. The primary high haematocrit causes are as follows;
High Haematocrit Symptoms
The main high haematocrit symptoms are as follows;
Haematocrit blood test, also called Packed – cell volume test (PCV Test), is a simple blood test that ascertains what percentage of the whole blood does the erythrocytes or red blood cells consists of. The blood is composed of erythrocytes, red blood cells, leukocytes or white blood cells and thrombocytes or platelets, all these together form 45% of the blood while the rest of the 55% of blood is composed of plasma, and as such it is imperative to find out what percentage of erythrocytes (vital oxygen carrying cells) is present in the blood.
Too low or too high percentage of erythrocytes could be indicative of various health issues like anaemia being one of them.
Haematocrit Normal Value
Haematocrit normal range varies and is depended upon varied factors like gender, weight and age. As such the Haematocrit normal range for men is between 40% to 54% of erythrocytes and for women the Haematocrit normal range is between 37% to 48%.
24 to 36 Hours
The Haematocrit test is generally ordered along with the complete blood count (CBC). The test helps in the assesment of:
Symptoms associated and observed are:
Preparatory instructions before the test *:
No Fasting Required.
No other special preparations required.
Specimen type: EDTA (Blood Sample)
Specimen collection procedure: Venipuncture - Collection of blood from a vein, usually from the arm.
You no longer need to break a sweat to get your haematocrit test, by looking around for reliable pathological labs and then waiting to get tested, just give us a call and our representative phlebotomist would be there at your home at a time and day of your convenience to collect the required blood sample.
We would also home deliver your haematocrit test reports to you. Portea is the leading at home healthcare services provider with highly reliable and certified healthcare services ranging from doctor’s consultation, nursing services to therapies and lab tests. So you can trust us with providing you the best home haematocrit test, so you can spend your time with a loved one rather running from pillar to post.
|35 - 45 %||6 Years. 1 month - 12 Years|
|34 - 40 %||2 Years - 6 Years|
|30 - 38 %||6.5 months - 1 Yr. 11 months|
|30 - 40 %||3 months - 6 months|
|28 - 42 %||2 months - 2.5 months|
|31 - 71 %||Day 14 - Day 29|
|33 - 53 %||1 months - 1.5 months|
|42 - 66 %||Day 7 - Day 13|
|45 - 67 %||Day 3 - Day 6|
|36 - 46 %||Adolescent Female|
|45 - 75 %||Day 1 - Day 2|
|37 - 49 %||Adolescent Male|
|40 to 54%||Male|
|35 to 47%||Female|
‘*A Reference range is a set of values which helps the healthcare professional to interpret a medical test. It may vary with age, gender, and other factors. Reference ranges may also vary between labs, in value & units depending on instruments used and method of establishment of reference ranges’
Rs. 200/- off
on your first booking.Book Now