what is sugar level?
The blood sugar level is the measure of the amount of glucose present in the blood of a human body.
Blood sugar levels can either be normal, high or low. Having high blood sugar or low blood sugar can be troublesome.
high blood sugar causes
- Skip or forget your insulin
- Eat too many grams of carbohydrates
- Have an infection
symptoms of high blood sugar
High blood sugar causes the human body to exhibit several symptoms:
- Increased thirst.
- Trouble concentrating.
- Blurred vision.
- Frequent peeing.
- Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
- Weight loss.
low blood sugar causes
- The side effect of diabetes.
- An overdose of diabetes medications.
- Skipping Meals.
- Eating less than normal.
- Eating later than normal.
- Excess physical activity.
- Drinking alcohol on meds.
Other causes of low blood sugar
- certain medications, such as quinine.
- some medical conditions, such as hepatitis or kidney disorders.
- a tumor that produces excess insulin.
- endocrine disorders, such as adrenal gland deficiency.
symptoms of low blood sugar
- Whole body: excess sweating, excessive hunger, fainting, fatigue, light-headedness, or shakiness
- Gastrointestinal: nausea or vomiting
- Cognitive: mental confusion or unresponsiveness
- Mouth: dryness or tingling lips
Also common are:
- blurred vision
- sensation of pins and needles
- slurred speech
- tremor or unsteadiness
blood sugar test
A blood sugar test is simple procedure that allows the glucose to be measured in your blood. This test may be ordered by your doctor if it is suspected that your blood sugar level is abnormal. People with diabetes can greatly benefit from this test to monitor their blood sugar level.
what is fasting blood sugar?
Fasting blood sugar is the blood sugar level that is taken after a person has fasted overnight.
fasting blood sugar test (fbs test)
The test is done in the morning, before the person has eaten. The range for normal blood glucose is 70 to 100 mg/dl. Readings between 100 and 126 mg/dl are considered as impaired fasting glucose or pre-diabetes. Diabetes is generally diagnosed when fasting blood glucose levels are 126 mg/dl or higher.
how to prepare for the fasting blood sugar test?
Do not eat anything for the recommended hours or overnight before you take this test. No special preparation is required.
are there any risks while taking blood sugar test?
This is a very simple blood test. Very simple complications may arise such as infection at the puncture site, bleeding, or difficulty in finding the vein.
blood sugar test report
Normal blood sugar range should be less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L). A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you have diabetes.
fasting blood sugar test cost
The fasting blood sugar test prices vary from one pathological lab to another. However, the FBS test cost is usually not too exorbitant and is easily affordable. The FBS test cost offered at home also differ from traditional pathological labs. Portea™ provides this test at a price of Rs 70*.
How to lower high blood sugar
- Exercise Regularly.
- Control Your Carb Intake.
- Increase Your Fiber Intake.
- Drink Water and Stay Hydrated.
- Implement Portion Control.
- Choose Foods With a Low Glycemic Index.
- Control Stress Levels.
- Monitor Your Blood Sugar Levels.
How to treat low blood sugar
- Hard candy
- Glucose tablets
- Glucose Gel Packs
how can we help?
You can now take the Fasting blood sugar test at home. Look for fasting blood sugar test near me and discover Portea’s world-class medical healthcare at home. Take the FBS test at home and get your blood sugar test report delivered to you.
Our team of medical experts can also guide you to help you treat high blood sugar.
top cities offering fasting blood sugar test(fbs test) at home
Bangalore, Delhi-NCR, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Pune, Lucknow, Indore,
Understanding results ofBlood Sugar (Glucose) Fasting (FBS) Test
|70-110||Normal Glucose Tolerance|
|>126||Provisional Diag. Diabetes Mellitus|
A Reference range is a set of values which helps the healthcare professional to interpret a medical test. It may vary with age, gender, and other factors. Reference ranges may also vary between labs, in value & units depending on instruments used and method of establishment of reference ranges.