What is Immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy definition states that it is a biological therapy that is used for a special type of cancer treatment. In cancer immunotherapy treatment, the natural defense of the body is boosted for fighting with the cancer radicals.
In this treatment, different substances are used either made by the body or with different sorts of medications. It increases the immune system which can prevent the cancer cells from growing. At present, there is immunotherapy for lung cancer, immunotherapy for breast cancer which can be curbed with strict medications.
Immunotherapy can work for:
- Slowing and Stopping the growth of Cancer Cells
- Stopping the spreading of cancer through different organs
- Improving the Immune system to destroy the cancer cells
Immunotherapy Side Effects
The most common immunotherapy side effects are as follows:
- Skin reactions: In skin reaction, the patient can suffer from skin redness, blistering, and dryness which can happen after immunotherapy. Further, the skin can become more sensitive to sunlight and scratches can make the skin more prone to infections.
- Flu-type Symptoms: Fatigue, weakness, fever, nausea, vomiting, stomach ache and high low blood pressure are the possible side effects of cancer immunotherapy. Here, it is important to stay dehydrated to avoid such symptoms and seek medical attention as and when required. You can talk to your doctor and know the possible treatments to overcome side effect.
Other Side effects are as follows:
- Muscle Aches
- Swelling of Legs
- Sinus Congestion
- Shortness of Breath
- Weight Gain
- Hormonal Changes
- A cough
TYPES OF IMMUNOTHERAPY
In the immunotherapy cancer treatment, supernatural powers are used to fight cancer for decades. It has become a key component for fighting with the cancer cells and treating cancer with great effectiveness.
But, every immunotherapy is different and not everyone works in the same way.
CAR T-Cell Therapy
Out of the different types of cancer immunotherapy, the CAR T-Cell Therapy, also known as the adoptive cell transfer therapy is used to treat the following types of blood cancers:
- Tisagenlecleucel: it is often used for treating young adults and children up to the age of 25. This treatment is done for patients whose cancer has come back two or more times right after the treatment.
- Axicabtagene: This treatment is used for treating adults suffering from B-cell Lymphoma or Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
The TCR Therapy, also known as T-cell receptor therapy (TCR) is another treatment for curing cancer. In this treatment, the doctors take T Cells from the blood, reprogram it and find cancer cells easily. This therapy is done similar to CAR T-Cell where blood cells are taken, re-engineered and drawn back in the body.
Tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) is a type of ACT therapy. In this therapy, the white blood cells are not reprogrammed. Instead, the cells are made with the help of the immune system and fight cancer on a natural basis.
With proper medication, cancer cells can be destroyed and the immune system can do its work. At present, there are a series of drugs which can be used in Immunotherapy treatment. Some of the important ones are as follows:
- Ipilimumab (Yervoy)
- Nivolumab (Opdivo)
- Pembrolizumab (Keytruda)
- Atezolizumab (Tecentriq)
- Avelumab (Bavencio)
- Durvalumab (Imfinzi)
At present, there are different clinical trials which are ongoing to treat different types of cancer. These drugs have side effects and must be consumed after taking a proper prescription from the doctor.
The sublingual immunotherapy is an alternative way of treating allergies. In this procedure, there is no use of injections and the patient is given minute doses of allergen for boosting tolerance. After adequate treatment, the patients can notice a reduction in the symptoms.
At present, the form of sublingual immunotherapy which is approved by the FDA includes tablets for ragweed, grasses like Timothy and other dust mites.
In allergy immunotherapy, different allergy shots are the injections which the patient will receive at regular intervals. The period can last for three to five years to reduce the allergy attacks. Each shot composes of substance which helps in triggering allergic reactions. They are known as allergens which help in stimulating the immune system.
The costing of Immunotherapy ranges from region to region and can also increase/decrease depending on cancer severity.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
If you are looking for Immunotherapy at home treatment, Portea can be the right option for you. We know the possible effects of cancer and how life-threatening this disease can be. We are well-trained and have the latest technologies which can help in curing cancer at a faster pace.
Hence, if you need cancer immunotherapy treatment, finding us is easier. You can locate us on Google by typing our website and booking appointments for Immunotherapy at home, anytime and from anywhere.