Spondylosis is a medical term meaning gradual ageing and deterioration of the spine. Spondylosis is caused due to arthritis in the spine, which leads to the gradual disintegration of the vertebrae and discs of the spine.
what is spondylosis?
Spondylosis is a broad descriptive term given to the degeneration of the spine caused by any disease or reason. Spondylosis also refers to osteoarthritis of the spine and is a progressive degenerative disease leading to the wear and tear of the spine. Spondylosis is characterised by natural wear and tear of the bones and ligaments resulting in bone spurs. And with the weakening of the vertebrae discs, disc herniation and bulging discs also become a common phenomenon occurring due to Spondylosis. Spondylosis mostly found in people over the age of 40.
Spondylosis is mainly the result of constant abnormal pressure on the spine. The most common spondylosis causes are as follows;
- Joint Subluxation
Sports inducedstress on the spine
- Repeated trauma
- Bad posture
Age relatedwear and tear
- Heavy lifting
Spondylosis does not necessarily show any symptom and can go undiagnosed till the time the problem becomes pretty severe with painful stiffness or pinched nerves or bone spur, for example you can have lumbar spondylosis and not notice any Spondylosis symptoms. The most common Spondylosis symptoms that are noticed are;
- Localised pain the back or neck
- Numbness and loss of sensation
- Muscle weakness
- Radiating pain and tingling sensation
- Reduced motion of the spine
Many people with spondylosis also complain of problems in standing or develop a hunched posture. The Spondylosis symptoms gets pretty bad in the morning but, some relief can be found as the day progresses.
Spondylosis diagnosis is done with the help of varied imaging tests and examinations like radiology, MRI scan, X – rays and CT Scans.
types of spondylosis
Spondylosis is classified into four sections according to its location and as such the varied types of spondylosis are as follows;
- Cervical Spondylosis – It affects the cervical vertebrae of the neck region and is extremely common type of spondylosis.
- Thoracic Spondylosis – It affects the middle back and is pretty rare.
- Lumbar Spondylosis – It affects the lower back and is a pretty common form of spondylosis.
- Multilevel Spondylosis – This type of spondylosis affects more than one particular region of the spine.
Spondylosis Home Treatment:
There is no cure for spondylosis currently, nevertheless there are plenty of spondylosis home treatment and conventional treatments that can help in the better management of the symptoms and eventual reduced pain. Before trying any of the spondylosis remedies, do remember that spondylosis home treatment is not a substitute for conventional form of treatment and proper medical attention should be sought if symptoms persist for more than a week. The various spondylosis home treatments one can use are as follows;
Herbal supplements: several herbs like turmeric, ginger, willow bark have anti – inflammatory properties and introducing them in one’s diet or use their oil to massage the inflamed joint can help reduce the swelling and pain.
Yoga and spondylosis physical therapy – Regular practice of specific type of spondylosis exercises helps in stretching and strengthening the bones and muscles and goes a long way in minimising the symptoms and pains associated with spondylosis.
Hot/Cold compress: It is one of the basic types of home remedy but, is quite effective in reducing the swelling and the pain associated with it.
Massages also help relax the muscles and relieve pain.
Other Spondylosis Treatments
Spondylosis treatment is meant only for the control and effective management of the symptoms, as there is no cure for spondylosis. Nevertheless the modern comprehensive spondylosis treatment offer maximum help in reducing the varied painful symptoms and helps attain a better quality of life. The general spondylosis treatment plan consists of medications, therapy and surgery.
- Medications: The typical medications prescribed for relieving the symptoms of spondylosis are Non – steroidal anti –inflammatory drugs, analgesics, narcotic drugs and anti depressants.
- Spondylosis physical therapy: Spondylosis physical therapy plays a major role in alleviating pain and reducing the symptoms of spondylosis. Spondylosis physiotherapy is often recommended to patients for chronic back and or neck pain for the muscle strengthening and stretching. Spondylosis physiotherapy has proven to be effective in restoring the mobility, flexibility and the core strengthening through a specific set of spondylosis exercises demonstrated by a physiotherapist. The benefit of spondylosis physiotherapy is that it not only helps in relieving pain but also helps in preventing recurrent pain.
- Surgery: Sometimes surgery is given as a last resort treatment to the patients to fix pressure on the spinal canal through decompression surgery and controlling spine movement through spine fusion therapy.
Spondylosis treatment at home is a better way of seeking treatment for spondylosis as patients affected have limited mobility and one wrong step can result in excruciating pain and discomfort. If you are looking for spondylosis treatment at home then look no further.
Portea renowned for its best at home healthcare offers the best spondylosis treatment at home. The efficient and well trained team of health professionals provide patient centric care and customised treatment plan to cater to the needs of the patient.
So whether you need reliable doctors, trained nurses or quality spondylosis physiotherapy we have you covered. So do give us a call and let us nurse you to good health with our spondylosis treatment at home plan.