psoriatic arthritis definition
As per the medical definition of psoriatic arthritis it is a disease associated with psoriasis causing joint inflammation. It is a pretty destructive and severe form of arthritis causing deformation and affects roughly 10% of people suffering from psoriasis.
what is psoriatic arthritis?
Psoriatic arthritis is a chronic autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation of the joints and the skin. It is one of the forms of arthritis that mainly affects people with psoriasis. It can affect any part of the body from the finger tips to the spine. In this type of arthritis usually people first develop psoriasis and then have inflammation of the joints but, in some cases joint pain can appear before skin inflammation. There is no cure for psoriatic arthritis, however, timely detection and medical attention can help in the better management of the disease.
psoriatic arthritis symptoms
Psoriatic arthritis symptoms can appear and disappear intermittently in a patient and psoriasis can precede the arthritis maybe by months or even years. The various psoriatic arthritis symptoms commonly seen are;
psoriatic arthritis causes:
Researchers are yet to ascertain the exact psoriatic arthritis causes and a combination of certain genetic, environmental and immune factors are mainly attributed to be the contributing factors of psoriatic arthritis disease.
psoriatic arthritis diagnosis:
Psoriatic arthritis diagnosis begins with a physical examination to check on the extent of swelling and tenderness of the joints and find other abnormalities. After that various examination and imaging tests can be administered for the correct psoriatic arthritis diagnosis. The varied diagnostic tools used are;
- X – ray
- MRI scan
- Rheumatoid Factor Lab test
- Joint fluid test
types of psoriatic arthritis
There are five different types of psoriatic arthritis. They are;
It is the mild form of psoriatic arthritis and affects less than 3 joints.
Also referred to as chronic absorptive arthritis, it is pretty severe, deformative and destructive form of arthritis.
It is pretty debilitating and is much similar to rheumatoid arthritis and can affect more than five joints on both the sides of the body.
It’s characteristics are pretty similar to that of symmetric arthritis and mainly affects the neck but, can also affect the hands and feet.
Distal interphalangeal predominant
This type of arthritis mainly affects the fingers and toes causing inflammation and stiffness.
how can we help?
psoriatic arthritis home treatment:
People suffering from psoriatic arthritis can try various psoriatic arthritis remedies as part of Psoriatic arthritis home treatment. Psoriatic arthritis home treatments are worth a try to stop the progression of the disease and get some Psoriatic arthritis relief. These home remedies can only help with the management of the symptoms as there is no cure for psoriatic arthritis. The various psoriatic arthritis remedies used are;
- Apple cider vinegar can help with the inflammation of the skin or psoriasis
- Using oats pastes on psoriasis patches can also prove helpful
- Turmeric helps a lot with inflammation and as such using it generously in food or taking turmeric capsules can help with joint inflammation
Capasaicinhave also been found helpful in controlling psoriasis
- Epsom salt and warm water baths provide a lot of relief in the joint inflammation and also relaxes the muscles and is a effective psoriatic arthritis home treatment
- Fish Oil supplements help block the swelling and inflammation and eases the pain
- Ginger have
anti inflammatoryproperties is a magic ingredient for Psoriatic arthritis home treatment.
- Regular practice of psoriatic arthritis exercises is one of the main components of Psoriatic arthritis home treatment as it helps with maintaining and improving joint mobility and flexibility
psoriatic arthritis treatment:
Before starting on psoriatic arthritis treatment, one should remember that there is no cure for psoriatic arthritis but, that doesn’t mean you can completely forego psoriatic arthritis treatment. As psoriatic arthritis treatment help in managing and controlling the symptoms, without seeking treatment, the disease would rapidly progress and cause debilitating results. Psoriatic arthritis treatment is a general mix of medication, home remedies, various therapies and surgery.
- Medication: The basic medications administered to psoriatic arthritis patients are non – steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, analgesics, immune -suppressants, disease modifying anti – rheumatic drugs, TNF alpha inhibitors, etc.
- Steroid Injections: Administered directly in the joints, steroid injections provide rapid relief in psoriatic arthritis.
- Low level laser therapy: It is a relatively new procedure and helps in relieving the pain and stiffness caused due to psoriatic arthritis.
- Psoriatic arthritis Physical Therapy: Psoriatic arthritis physiotherapy occupies a central role in the management of psoriatic arthritis symptoms. The psoriatic arthritis physical therapy makes the patient undergo specific exercises categorically designed for their condition and needs. Physiotherapy helps in strengthening the muscles, improving the muscle tone, improving the range of mobility and flexibility of the joints.
- Surgery: In psoriatic arthritis surgery is advised for fixing joint disfigurement and reinforcing joint strength and utility.
It is always better to get psoriatic arthritis treatment at home among your loved ones than in a sterile hospital environment. Helping you in getting quality healthcare within your home is Portea, offering highly reliable and efficient psoriatic arthritis treatment at home. Portea’s team of various health professionals provide customised, empathetic care to each of its patients for their rapid recovery and well being. So if you need psoriatic arthritis treatment at home, do let us know and we would bring the clinic to your doorstep.