what is iv infusion?
IV infusion is a medical procedure through which fluids, like – electrolyte solutions, medicinal drugs, etc are directly administered in the veins, by means of an infusion set consisting of the fluid glass or plastic vacuum bag/bottle, plastic tube connecting the medicinal bag or bottle to a catheter or needle in the patient’s vein.
types of iv infusion
There are three types of IV infusion therapy – IV Push, IV piggy back and blood transfusion.
- IV Push – An IV “push” or “bolus” is a fast infusion of medication. A syringe is inserted into your catheter to rapidly send a one-time dosage of medication into your blood.
- IV Piggy back – An IV piggy back also known as secondary infusion is the administration of medicine together with the IV solution, through the existing IV insertion.
- Blood Transfusion – A blood transfusion is a method in which blood is given to you through an intravenous (IV) line in one of your veins. Blood transfusions are done to supplant blood lost amid medical procedure or because of injury.
iv infusion procedure
IV infusion procedure is an invasive procedure where a IV catheter is inserted into a peripheral vein, which is then held in place with a sterile dressing to keep the IV site sterile and prevent accidental dislodging of the IV catheter or needle.
purpose of iv infusion
IV infusion is administered at the recommendation of a doctor for varied reasons and purposes like;
- To give the patient fluids, when oral intake is not possible for any reason
- To give medications, including chemotherapy and anaesthetics, about 40% of all anti-toxins are given intravenously.
- IV infusion is administered to post operative patients
- Another purpose of IV infusion is to keep the vein open for medication, when the patient is waiting fr blood transfusion
- To maintain electrolyte balance, when the patient is losing lot of fluid like in vomiting or diarrhoea
- Patients suffering from dehydration are also administered IV for hydration
ABOUT IV TREATMENT AT HOME:
IV infusion is a basic medical procedure but it can’t be administered by a person by themselves and need the assistance of a nurse for a safe IV at home. Renowned home healthcare provider Portea, allows you to stay at home and simultaneously receive quality medical care, with a number of highly experienced doctors and nurses at their beck and call.
Trained nurses at Portea safely administer IV at home and take appropriate measures to prevent the risk of potential complications. Traveling can be hazardous and laborious for sick patients and as such getting saline drop at home is better recommended. Portea’s nurses are well experienced in administering IV antibiotics at home. So don’t further stress yourself and contact us immediately to get quality services for IV at home.
benefits of getting iv treatment at home:
The benefits of getting IV treatment at home is that It eliminates traveling hazards and exertions, appropriate Infusion Care For all Age Groups and It is Economical to get IV treatment at home than in a hospital.
iv treatment at home:
So, if you need IV infusion simply give us a call and one of our expert and caring nurses would be visiting you at your home to give the necessary infusion without any concerns.