what is knee pain?
Knee pain is the most common form of joint pain found in a vast majority of people globally. The elderly are the most affected by knee pain. Knee pain can be due to several reasons like, injury, unhealthy lifestyle or medical condition. Minor form of knee pain can be easily treated with home remedies for knee pain at home while other types of knee pain require medical attention to heal.
symptoms of knee pain
Some of the symptoms of severe knee pain include,
- Swelling and stiffness in and around the knee
- Redness and
feeingof warmth near the knee
- Weakness or instability in the knee
- Popping and
crushingnoises from the knee at the time of sitting and standing
- Unable to completely straighten the knee.
If you are experiencing such symptoms, then you should see a doctor immediately to get relief as home remedies for knee pain is just not going to offer much knee pain relief in the above symptoms.
causes of knee pain
Some of the major knee pain causes are injuries, mechanical problem
Knee pain due to injury – An injury to the knee can cause serious damage to the bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons
types of knee pain injury:
- ACL Injury: Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury or ACL injury is one of the most common knee pain reasons found in sportspersons. ACL injury takes place when the ACL gets stretched, partially torn or completely torn. Activities involving sudden stops and changes in direction, as seen in soccer, tennis
andbasketball are primarily responsible for this type of injury.
- Fractures: Fracture to the knee or Patella can be excruciatingly painful and can be caused due to fall or eccentric contraction. People with osteoporosis can fracture their knee by as simple activity as wrong stepping.
- Torn Meniscus: Meniscus is the rubbery cartilage and can be torn by suddenly twisting while carrying heavy weight.
- Knee Bursitis: Knee bursitis is the inflammation of the bursae caused by knee injuries.
- Patellar Tendonitis: Patellar tendonitis more commonly referred to as jumper’s knee is an
over useinjury caused as a result of the patellar tendon being overstressed.
Some of the mechanical problems that cause knee pain are;
- Loose Bodies in Knee: Loose bodies in the knee joint are little sections of ligament or bone that move openly around the knee in joint
liquid,or synovium. They can prevent the joint movement by getting captured in flexion and extension movements. These loose bodies can cause harm to the articular ligament, causing osteoarthritis.
- Iliotibial band syndrome. – This happens when the extreme band of tissue gets so tight that it rubs against the external bit of the femur. Sprinters are particularly susceptible to Iliotibial band syndrome.
- Dislocated kneecap – Dislocated kneecap is the dislocation of the patella. In few cases the kneecap may stay dislocated and you can easily see the dislocation.
- Hip or foot pain – We often have the tendency to alleviate pressure from the foot or hip that hurts and adjust to walking by putting maximum weight on the other foot. This puts added pressure on one knee causing knee pain.
what are type of arthritis causing knee pain?
Arthritis is of innumerable types and several of them are capable of causing knee pain like;
- Osteoarthritis: Also referred to as Degenerative arthritis is the most common form of arthritis. It is an overuse problem caused due to
age relatedwear and tear of the cartilage in the knee. Osteoarthritis is also one of the primary knee pain reasons.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: It is one of the worst forms of arthritis causing debilitating pain in almost any joints of the body.
- Gout – This sort of joint pain happens when uric acid stones develop in the joint. While gout normally affects the big toe, it can also be one of the knee pain reasons.
- Pseudogout – Pseudogout is caused by calcium-containing crystals formed in the joint liquid and is one of the many knee pain reasons.
- Septic Arthritis – Septic arthritis is the infection in the knee joint causing redness, swelling and fever.
prevention from knee pain
By following few suggestions one can take better care of their knees and avoid knee pain to a large extent. Some of the healthy habits to adopt for knee pain are as follows;
- Keep additional pounds off and keep up a sound weight to avoid exerting undue pressure on the knees and to avoid problems like osteoarthritis.
- Be fit and agile to play sports. Practicing regularly and warm up is essential for your knee health to avoid sudden pressure and stress to the knees resulting in a knee injury.
- Practice exercises for knee pain regularly, if you are suffering from osteoarthritis, switch to swimming or water aerobics for healthy knees.
home remedies for knee pain:
Home remedies for knee pain comes handy in the elimination of minor forms of knee pain, but more severe form of knee pain require medical attention like surgery and therapies. The most common of the home remedies for knee pain is the application of the RICE treatment which is REST- ICE – COMPRESSION – ELEVATION. RICE treatment implies giving the feet some rest, application of a cold compress; wrap the knee with a compression bandage to prevent swelling and finally keeping the feet in an elevated position while resting.
If even after the trial of home remedies for knee pain, the pain does not subside then it is better to get yourself examined by a doctor for other treatments.
different types of knee pain treatment
The treatment for knee pain can be varied depending upon the type of knee pain. Some of the standard treatments offered for knee pain solution include knee pain medicine, injections, physiotherapy for knee pain and surgery.
- Medications: Some of the knee pain medicine usually prescribed for knee pain is pain relievers, analgesics,
anti – inflammatorydrugs and anti – rheumaticdrugs.
- Injections – Corticosteroids injections are administered to help in knee inflammation. Other injections administered for knee pain include – hyaluronic acid supplements and
arthocentesis(joint fluid aspiration)
- Surgery – The various types of knee surgery recommended for knee pain are – Knee replacement, Arthroscopy and Osteotomy.
- Physiotherapy – Physiotherapists assess the condition of the patient and recommend appropriate knee pain exercise. These knee pain exercises are aimed at providing greater mobility and flexibility of the knees. With regular practice of the knee pain exercises strengthen the muscles around the knee thereby, reducing knee injuries.
Our lower leg bones are connected to the thigh bones through the ligaments. They help us to maintain the stability of our movements. In this case, we need to consider the role of three ligaments here, namely, Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) and Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL). Sprains caused to either of these ligaments can result in knee pain. Excessive pain could require surgery. You need not be acquainted with medical parlance particularly, but you definitely need to pay attention to this.
We all know the importance of cartilage. Cartilage is a firm yet flexible connective tissue which acts as a protective cushion between the bone joints. Damage to the cartilage can cause severe joint pains and swelling. This cartilage consists of two menisci; medial meniscus (inside the knee) and lateral meniscus (outside the knee). In each of the knee joints, two menisci are present. Too many activities can leave them mutilated. Meniscus tear can also occur as a result of osteoarthritis, a joint disorder mostly observed in aged men and women. A crack in the knee cartilage is a common injury, and it usually requires an effective surgery. Don’t worry, take action instead!
Arthritis is often too simplified and misunderstood a disorder. Relevant studies have shown that most of the people suffer from physical disabilities due to arthritis. Both adults and children are diagnosed with arthritis. Arthritis is one important reason for knee pain. Common types of arthritis include:
• Rheumatoid arthritis
• Post-traumatic arthritis
Relevant devices, therapies, surgery or even anti-inflammatory drugs are deployed to treat the condition. It is advisable to fetch specific treatments on time. Why pay a bigger price then?
how can we help on knee pain?
Knee pain is a debilitating disease and even commuting to a doctor’s clinic proves to be a mammoth and extremely painful task. Now with the availability of health home care, patients suffering from severe knee pain do not need to undertake any travel to seek quality healthcare. Portea offers the best knee pain treatment at home along with the best of nursing services and other healthcare professionals to offer you the best treatment for knee pain that too at the comfort of your home. So if you require physiotherapy or other nursing care service at your doorstep just get in touch with us and experience our world class health services at home.